Monday, January 7, 2008

Best of 2007

2007 was...

love, loss, growth and frustration. Here's some highlights from pop culture and personal experience:


Best New Gallery: Canvas Gallery. 617 Western. Just happens to have 3 paintings by yours truly on display right now!

Best netflix discovery: Freaks and Geeks-this show is great! I've only seen the first 6 episodes so far, but I'm loving it.

Best Vacation: Camping at the various State Parks in Oregon and California on my way to Berkeley.

Best Party: Crows Eat People III! Not to tute my own horn, but it was the best.

Best Injury: Splitting open my palm in a fall while hiking off the Mountain Loop Highway

Best pet: Crouton the kitten, despite her tendency to drive me insane when I kitten sat her for a week. No one chases the lazer point dot with greater zeal and reckless abandon.

Best novel I read: The Road by Cormac McCarthy

Best Song: "Someone Great" LCD Soundsystem. Just too lovely. Even with the vocals that are almost superfulous.

Best surprize album: Busdriver - freaky acid arthouse hip-hop. Stuff on this album unlike anything I've ever heard.

Best big concert: Arcade Fire at Sasquaatch. Built at the showbox.

Best little concert: Shenandoah Davis at Fat Tiger Gallery

Best 10 albums I heard:

1. Kings of Leon Because of the Times
2. Radiohead In Rainbows
3. The Cave Singers Invitation Songs
4. LCD Sound System Sound of Silver
5. Sigur Ros Hvarf/Heim
6. Silversun Pickups Carnavas
7. The White Stripes Icky Thump
8. Busdriver Road Kill Overcoat
9. Arcade Fire Neon Bible
10. MIA Kala

Best 4 albums you may not have heard: Imperial Teen, Grinderman, Two Gallants, Memonia.

Best films I have not Seen but I suspect are good:

1. There Will Be Blood
2. The Divining Bell and the Butterfly
3. Rescue Dawn
4. Juno
5. Sweeny Todd

(and i'm sure a host of indie and foreign films I need to see)

Best films I did see in 2007:

1. No Country for Old Men
2. Grindhouse
3. Superbad
4. Eastern Promises
5. Before the Devil Knows You are Dead
6. American Gangster
7. Zodiac

1 comment:

carrie said...

The more I think about Superbad, the more I like it . . . it grows on you, for sure. (That's NOT to say that I didn't enjoy it the first time, it's just that I get distracted by the language and all the penile references - there is sooo much more to the movie that's important and heavy)

Sorry,

Your Sis