Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Molo at the Movies (couch version): Safety Not Guaranteed


No doubt you have heard of this little film, Safety Not Guaranteed, heralded for it's sweet charm and honest humor, and those are fair compliments.  As always, I'm going to talk around the significant plot points - but the flick has to do with a reporter and 2 interns following up on an ad placed in craigslist asking for a partner to go back in time.  What starts as a story about a potential quirk (and an excuse for the reporter to visit a lost flame) ends up being the story of lost souls finding each other in the present...OH SHOOT, I just basically gave the whole thing away - but that simple, obvious tale is not really why you should watch this movie.  Watch it for Aubrey Plaza.  She's my new actress crush, so good, so smart ass/deadpan.  She's my favorite thing about Parks & Rec and in this movie, plays a similar dark, quippy character, but infused with a bit of vulnerability...


Oh my.

That, and Mark Duplass, overdoing it a bit as the would-be time traveler but still very likable.  Over the last few months I have watched Mark in The League, which is a fantastic program, if you like fantasy football and raunchy humor and he's become one of my favorite 2d personalities.  I never did see Lynn Shelton's Humpday, another locally made film (Safety Not Guaranteed starts off in Seattle and travels to "Ocean View" a stand in for Ocean Shores, and was filmed/produced locally, if I have my facts straight).  Any who, he does a good job with the obvious material.

Safety Not Guaranteed  3.5 Molos

No comments: